IMPORTANT: New Dates for 2020 – August 3 – 16
Chamber Music – Individual Instruction – Master-Classes – Orchestra – Art History – Fun & Educational Activities – Public Performances
In light of the COVID-19 situation, we are limiting the 2020 VMI Institute to strings and piano instructions only. The institute is open to students and adults of all ages.
Instruments: Strings: violin, viola, cello, double bass, piano
The 2020 VMI will focus on the music of George Frideric Handel.
Welcome: Since 2011, our Virtuosi Summer Music Institute and Festival has delighted audiences with performances of chamber music works and operas. Although we are unable to perform an opera this year, our commitment to high standard concerts is as strong as ever. The Institute’s program will include chamber music coaching, chamber orchestra, music theory classes, history of composers from guest lecturers, and many public performances. Our outstanding, internationally acclaimed, and very dedicated instructors are interacting closely with students – teaching, socializing, and sharing their performance experiences. This inspirational and indispensable relationship gives our students a great boost of self-confidence and a sense of accomplishment.
Venues: The Festival performances take place at St. James Episcopal Church in Farmington, and at Cyril and Methodius parish and the Wadsworth Museum of Art in Hartford.
The program is open to students and adults of all ages who demonstrate a good command of their instrument and are able to perform in a variety of chamber music and advanced orchestral settings.
In order to be considered for solo performance opportunities, a student must come with a prepared repertoire including classical or romantic sonata, bravura piece, or concerto movement prepared prior to the start of the institute. Piano accompaniment will be provided.
- Arrival time 10am / Pick up time 2pm
- Parents are required to provide transportation to camp and performance venues.
- Please bring your own masks and hand sanitizer as needed.
- We will provide additional sanitizer as needed.
- Classes will be limited to a maximum of 10 students.
- Please bring lunch and a snack.
- Students must have black folders labeled with their name, a notebook, staff paper, and a pencil on the first day of camp.
- Please bring a music stand to the performances only.